I’m back with another playlist based of the popular Sirius XM 80’s countdown show. But this time I wanted to do something a little different. I thought I’d try a recall the first times I’d heard some of these tunes as a way of going back in memory. Let’s give it a try.
First, lets set the scene. In Late September of ’83 I would have been just 11 years old. I would have just begun 7th grade at the new Evergreen Junior High in Redmond, Washington. I remember the first day of school, entering the post-primary age, I headed in through the front double-door, determined to make an entrance. And that I did, when I swung both doors open with gusto and walked right into the pole that separated them. Ah, Middle School years.
I think most of my exposure to music at the time would be from Music Videos. Not MTV. I wouldn’t get to see that for a few years. But mostly the NBC Video Show “Friday Night Videos” which I’ve mentioned in previous posts. As a reminder, after MTV had launched other Network TV had to do some catching up. NBC had always had some kind of Music on late at night. Prior to FNV, The Midnight Special had been like a living concert series of the days’ hit artists performing live.
Anyway, I can remember seeing Stevie Nicks, Rick Springfield, The Eurythmics and Men Without Hats for the first time on FNV. Even my favorite band of all time, The Police, had videos out at that time. However, I wouldn’t know just how much I’d come to love their music until just after High School years.
And now that I think about it, this would have been the heady-days of KUBE 93.3 FM in Seattle, which at that time was one of two popular Top 40 formatted radio stations. The 80’s at 8 program had a Top 10 countdown every night, with many hosts over the years. But the one I remember the most was Wendy Christopher. I certainly heard many of these tunes played by her then.
Ok, well let’s just get to the list. Leave a comment if you have any significant memories of this period of time or a particular song.
VJ Big 40 9.24.83
SIRIUSXM BIG 80S ON 8·SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 22, 2018
40. Cold Blooded – Rick James
39. If Anyone Falls – Stevie Nicks
38. It’s A Mistake – Men At Work
37. It Must Be Love – Madness
36. Sitting At The Wheel – The Moody Blues
35. Suddenly Last Summer – The Motels
34. Don’t Forget To Dance – The Kinks
33. Lady Love Me – George Benson
32. Don’t You Get So Mad – Jeffrey Osborne
31. Tonight I Celebrate My Love – Peabo Bryson/Roberta Flack
30. Delirious – Prince
29. Big Log – Robert Plant
28. Tell Her No – Juice Newton
27. (Keep Feeling) Fascination – The Human League
26. Kiss The Bride – Elton John
25. Telefone (Long Distance Love Affair) – Sheena Easton
24. Human Touch – Rick Springfield
23. Burning Down The House – Talking Heads
22. Dead Giveaway – Shalamar
21. One Thing Leads To Another – The Fixx
20. I’ll Tumble 4 Ya – Culture Club
19. Lawyers In Love – Jackson Browne
18. She Works Hard For The Money – Donna Summer
17. Island In The Stream – Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton
16. How Am I Supposed To Live Without You – Laura Branigan
15. Every Breath You Take – The Police
14. Promises, Promises – Naked Eyes
13. TRUE – Spandau Ballet
12. Far From Over – Frank Stallone
11. King Of Pain – The Police
10. Don’t Cry – Asia
9. (She’s) – Sexy + 17 Stray Cats
8. Puttin’ On The Ritz – Taco
7. Human Nature – Michael Jackson
6. Sweet Dreams – Eurythmics
5. Making Love Out Of Nothing At All – Air Supply
4. Maniac – Michael Sembello
3. The Safety Dance – Men Without Hats
2. Total Eclipse Of The Heart – Bonnie Tyler
1. Tell Her About It – Billy Joel