I couldn’t wait to make another playlist this week. I don’t know what it is about the Top 40 of the 80’s. I guess I’m just stuck in the past. But this time I was prompted by an old Facebook post I did, where I made a kind of guessing game out of the post. I liked it so much I did it again, this time on the Facebook Page. I think I had more engagement the first time, but its still fun for me to do a little digging into the past of individual songs and find interesting things out about them.
The latest version of this can be found on this Facebook Page Post. And the first time I did it was on this Profile Post.
Anyway, you can view the full Billboard Hot 100 for this week 30 Years ago Right Here. I think it is an interesting read, seeing where songs were in their life on the charts.
And it wouldn’t be a nostalgia playlist without a little personal reflection. October 1, 1988: I would have been 16 yrs old and beginning my Senior year in High School. I can’t say I was a troubled youth, but I certainly had one whirlwind Summer. Girl crazy and full of hormones, for sure.
Certainly the radio was on playing these hits, but I can’t say I payed THAT close of attention at the time. I was still too full of summer bliss and the concept of heartbreak and (personal) failure (I eventually had to drop out of High School and join the workforce in earnest to help pay bills) was still months from reality.
I guess that the best part of this playlist is that its about 30 years on the nose. And when I think of that span of time I can count several lifetimes of evolution. At least two professional careers. A ton of good times and also hardships. Everything formative leading me to today. Yeah, I’d make some edits but hopefully nothing that would erase the things I cherish now.
As they say, No Regrets. None too drastic, anyway. So. here is your Blast from the Past Top 40 Countdown for this weekend 30 years ago!
40. How Can I Fall? – Breathe
39. Fast Car – Tracy Chapman
38. Don’t Know What You Got (till It’s Gone) – Cinderella
37. Indestructible – Four Tops
36. Monkey – George Michael
35. Another Lover – Giant Steps
34. Bad Medicine – Bon Jovi
33. Time And Tide – Basia
32. Superstitious – Europe
31. Kokomo – The Beach Boys
30. When It’s Love – Van Halen
29. One Moment In Time – Whitney Houston
28. The Loco-motion – Kylie Minogue
27. Wild, Wild West – The Escape Club
26. Never Tear Us Apart – Inxs
25. Chains Of Love – Erasure
24. What You See Is What You Get – Brenda K. Starr
23. Staying Together – Debbie Gibson
22. Perfect World – Huey Lewis & The News
21. Forever Young – Rod Stewart
20. True Love – Glenn Frey
19. A Nightmare On My Street – D.j. Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince
18. Don’t You Know What The Night Can Do? – Steve Winwood
17. Nobody’s Fool (theme From “caddyshack Ii”) – Kenny Loggins
16. Fallen Angel – Poison
15. Don’t Be Cruel – Bobby Brown
14. Groovy Kind Of Love – Phil Collins
13. It Would Take A Strong Strong Man – Rick Astley
12. Please Don’t Go Girl – New Kids On The Block
11. If It Isn’t Love – New Edition
10. What’s On Your Mind (pure Energy) – Information Society
9. Simply Irresistible – Robert Palmer
8. I Hate Myself For Loving You – Joan Jett And The Blackhearts
7. Sweet Child O’ Mine – Guns N’ Roses
6. Don’t Be Cruel – Cheap Trick
5. Red Red Wine – Ub40
4. One Good Woman – Peter Cetera
3. I’ll Always Love You – Taylor Dayne
2. Love Bites – Def Leppard
1. Don’t Worry, Be Happy – Bobby Mcferrin